Internet security is a big issue today and requires a lot of effort to stay safe while online. It is a whole new issue when the kids are involved. Being young and curious, children typically like to cross boundaries. However, this can have serious consequence on the internet as they may be exposed to adult content, internet fraud, being targeted by pedophiles or they could even be radicalized by terrorists prowling on the web.
To safeguard against this, here are some tips on the rules to set for your kids to keep them safe while they are browsing online.
The rules, tips are not limited to children alone, so adults should also follow the advice.
These rules are mainly aimed at younger children, at the oldest pre-teens. Corresponding “rules” for online use differ by age, the maturity of the child and family values. Make the kid(s) read out the rules aloud so as to emphasize its seriousness.
- I will not provide any personal data such as address, telephone number, and address/phone number of my parents without the permission of my parents.
- I will tell my parents immediately if I come across something that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will never for whatever reason agrees to meet someone I meet “online” without first talking to my parents about it. If my parents for reasons best known to them accept the meeting, I will be sure that it will be in the daytime, and in a public place and bring a parent or guardian along.
- I will always talk with my parents about posting pictures of myself or others online and not posting pictures that my parents consider suggestive or inappropriate.
- I will not reply to messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It’s not my fault if I get such a message. If I do, I will tell my parents immediately.
- I will always talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for online operation and the use of a mobile phone. We will decide on the time of the day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online and suitable areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission.
- I will check with my parents and get their permission before downloading or installing software or anything that may hurt our computer or mobile device or endanger my family’s privacy.
- I will not share my passwords with anybody (including my best friends) except with only my parents.I will always be a good online citizen and do nothing that hurts other people or violates the laws.
- I will help my parents to understand how to have fun and learn new things online and teach them new things about the Internet, computers and other technologies.